Child Care Licensing

Become a Licensed Child Care Provider!

(Serving Chase, Coffey, Lyon, Morris, and Wabaunsee Counties)

Benefits of becoming licensed:

  • Work from home
  • Set your own rates and hours
  • Be your own boss
  • Stay home with your children
  • Follow your passion for working with kids!
  • Grants available based on your location!

The first step in getting started is orientation, call Jamie Roberts at (620) 342-4864 ext. 5

Cost is $15.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who has to be licensed?
With few exceptions, anyone who provides care for children (other than those related by blood, marriage or adoption) must be licensed with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, regardless of why they provide the care or if there is advertisement of or payment for services, according to Kansas law. The law permits nanny care to be unlicensed (watching a child in their own home), relative care (up to a certain degree removed), and for someone to watching up to two children for twenty cumulative hours per week.
What are the costs of licensure?


What are the minimum requirements for getting licensed?
You must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED and be able to pass a fingerprint background check. We do not license apartments.
Where can I find the regulations?
Am I required to have insurance on my daycare?

There is not a regulation requiring specific insurance for your daycare. You are required to have full coverage on any vehicles used for transporting daycare children. 

How long does it take to get a license?

The process can take up to 90 days to get a temporary permit allowing you to open your daycare.

Content | Menu | Access panel